Saturday 13 December 2008

Yummy...

Breakfast this morning included ham smeared with mashed avocado and rolled up into cigar shapes. The perfect mix of salty and creamy. Another combination I love is smoked salmon with poached eggs on top. Ah, salt and fat. Does it get any better?

Now I know, I know, I should avoid salt, it has acidifying effects on the body, it's otherwise not good for me, etc. But I like it. And so I use sea salt in my cooking, and I buy cured meat. Everyone has to do what works for them. I can't do without salt.

Oh, I've tried. People say that if you go without for a while, things start to taste waaaaaaaaay too salty. Nope, never happened to this person. I tried many times, would make it as long as a month, but in the end, I would crack. I would buy no salt added cottage cheese and throw some salt in. A pinch of salt used to make my oatmeal rock. And you know what? I NEVER lost the taste for it.

Now, I have lost my taste for sweet stuff. Certain foods, especially processed foods, taste grossly sweet to me--especially purchased salad dressings and sauces. Seriously? Do they have to add sugar to EVERYTHING? But salt and I are together for life.

My blood pressure is fine, even lowish. And on a grand scale, I don't think I do eat enough salt for it to matter (I don't ridiculously salt my food) on a day to day basis. In the end, you have to do what works for you. For me, in the final analysis, a little bit of salt ups my enjoyment of some dishes so much that in cost/benefit balance, salt wins.

1 comment:

Marc said...

Salt is just fine.
Just stick with the seasalt.
Keep the posts coming.
Marc