Sunday 28 December 2008

Almost forgot

Last week, I accidently created a fabulous side dish. I bought a bag of shredded red cabbage on a whim, not sure what to do with it but craving the cruciate goodness. Yes, I do crave certain veggies, and yes, that is an evolved facet of my palate. 

It was very cold outside, and by the time I got home, I knew I wanted my cabbage warm. So I threw about 5g of bacon grease in my beloved enamel dutch oven, sauteed some onion (yes, I firmly believe most dishes taste better with sauteed onion) until nice and soft and golden, and then threw the cabbage in the pot. I stirred it to make sure it was nice and coated with some of the fat and mixed in with the onions and then I slammed on the very heavy lid. About 10 minuted later I opened the pot, seasoned the cabbage with salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar (about a tbsp worth) and hot pepper flakes, gave it another stir, and covered it for 5 minutes. When I opened the pot I had lovely cooked cabbage that smelled delicious.

Of course, the ultimate test was the SO, who had been quite skeptical of my impulse cabbage grab. I have to give him credit, he's a good sport, and will eat pretty much any veggie I throw on his plate. I loaded his plate up, expecting that I would probably end up eating most of it anyway. But I turned around twice, and it was gone!* I will DEFINITELY be making this dish again :)

*To be fair, the SO eats VERY quickly. His grandmother refers to him as 'the snake' because he ingests so quickly he appears to skip the whole chewing part of the process. Seriously, it's impressive. My point being that the speed of his consumption is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the degree of the yumminess of the dish--although he swears he did love it. 

No comments: