Tuesday 7 April 2009

What to eat when you don't much feel like eating

Paleo survival mode. I'm not an emotional eater. If anything, I'm an emotional faster. When I'm upset, food tastes different to me, and I avoid things I otherwise love and consider treats.

Have you ever stood in front of an open fridge door, wondering why there's nothing in there that appeals to you? I've been doing that a lot lately. So I've defaulted to things that are very easy, and don't require much chewing.

For example, the green smoothie. Whey powder, frozen spinach, and coconut milk. I use Jay Robb Vanilla whey powder, which is delicious. Sometimes, when I've been low on carbs for the day, I throw in a little (~35g) frozen banana. It's not necessary though. Between the whey and the coconut milk, you don't taste the spinach, and you get a nice dose of vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients. Plus, the smoothie is a very attractive shade of green, pale and appealing and springlike.

Another dish involving spinach is where I get some chicken sausage(check the nutritional label and make sure there is 1g carb or less per serving) slice it up, and nuke it with frozen spinach. At the end, throw in a little herbed goat cheese for creaminess, mix it all together, and enjoy.

Another good one is soft boiled eggs, all on their own or with some salami. I like dipping salami pieces in the nice soft yolks.

A few weeks ago, the New York Times published a recipe for hot chocolate made with coconut milk, and let me tell you, it's delicious even without added sweeteners, because the coconut milk has a certain natural sweetness itself.

I know that particularly at a low point, it is important for me to care for and nourish myself, and cooking for myself is a key component of that self care. Of course, I'm always open to more Paleo comfort food suggestions :)...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good ideas. I tend to not eat when I'm depressed... but other than that, not much changes this girl's healthy appetite :)

I hope that you're not feeling at a low point right now? Take care of yourself!

- Sagan

Anonymous said...

I am so the opposite there--emotional upset=eating for me. Good to hear you're finding ways to nourish yourself; I bet your healthy attitude will bring you a long way toward getting out of this current blah period all the sooner.

Rayna said...

Ugh. I'm like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hide when it comes to eating. When I'm upset you never know what you're going to get. Some days I just want cake, cookies and ice cream but since we don't have any of those things, I just don't eat because nothings appealing. It's a really bad combo, annoys the bf like crazy. I'm trying to quit.

In the mean time, I'm going to have to look for some quick foods. I'm not a big spinach fan and it's not the taste that bothers me, it's the texture, so it's hard to get past.

Cave Cooking said...

LHITRW-I'm with you, it takes a LOT to really screw up my appetite ;)

Amy-I hear you. Of course, I'm a human vacuum at (ahem) a certain time of the month...

Rayna-is it the texture of raw spinach, or cooked spinach?

Anonymous said...

OREOS! Only kidding I go for hot griddled peach slices with some flaked almonds and a small amount of greek yoghurt. I'll post a picture soon. Any chance you post the hot chocolate recipie? Virtual hug!

GiGi said...

My newest paleo comfort food = PUMPKIN!!!